Saturday, October 4, 2008

2008 Raisin Hope Foundation Ride


2008 DATA


2007 DATA



View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com
MotionBased Ride Data

This was my 2nd year to participate in the Raisin Hope Foundation ride supporting brain injuries and we need these events (see the previous blog regarding the 6 Gap Crash) and it was good to see Saul Raisin putting on the fund raiser/cycling event for the 2nd year.

With gas prices, gas availability in Georgia and a summer of long hard rides it was perhaps less motivating for many to attend this year. I'm not sure why most my friends did not come, but I knew Gary was going and I was happy to ride with him up to the event to keep him company, support the event with my entry fee and to participate to see if I have improved since last year. The 1st year event was my first time doing any substantial climb and it was a struggle for me. So I thought it would be a good to see a comparison. However, it is a controlled event so for the first number of miles today we were all holding in a mass group being led out by patrol cars, Saul Raisin and 3 other pro cyclists. That did hold back my performance test, but this is a charity event and not a race or a time to set personal bests so I was content to sit back until the climb started.

As we started the 8+ mile climb Gary, Derek, Dick and me were starting to split apart as each of us went into our own climbing pace. I think I was the last up as usual, but compared to last year I could definitely perceive an improved difference compared to last year. I know I could have went even harder, but I figured it is a charity event so I didn't want to look like an idiot trying to establish new personal records.

Descending the mountain was fun, but I was again being cautious and was thinking about Daniella on the way down. I pray God be with her. I did not hit the downhill speed that I did last year at this event due to being a bit more apprehensive, but still with the switchbacks my downhill skills are starting to come back to me. Once we were down to the base me and the guys regrouped and settled into a steady pace line holding around 20 mph. We were trading off on the pulls when I hear a strange voice coming up fast on my left saying, "I'll pull for a while." I don't know who this guy was dressed in his Team Cycleworks/HDR kit and Pinararello bike, but he was strong as he passed me quickly. I had to sprint to catch him, but once on his wheel I settled into a mid to high 20's pace. He looked back and said that we dropped the group. So we eased up a bit and when they caught us he took off again. I stayed with him every time he pushed the pace and each time we were getting out ahead of mine and his group. Finally we eased off again until we caught another larger group with some that also were wearing HDR kits. I hear this guy say we are in a good spot to set a pace so I take off from the near the back of this new group thinking he and my guys were coming with me, but as I look back I am a half a mile ahead of a whole group not chasing me or wanting to come out on this pace. I ease up and go all the way back to my guys and sit in the back of my group with contentment.

At 62 miles we see a sag stop, but I am bewildered since the ride is only supposed to be 62 miles and I was out of water. I had to make a stop just to be safe and I asked one of the volunteers. He says that we probably missed a turn and that we have another 5 miles to go with a couple of substantial climbs. That really messed with my head. I think my body was ready to shut it down at 62 miles since that is what I expected and now I need to get my mind right to finish. Sure enough it was a mental struggle reluctantly facing two more good climbs before getting back on to the final stretch. Thankfully Gary dropped back with me at the sag stop so it was pleasant to have him just in front of me as I was dealing with my mental attitude.

All in all it was a good ride with Gary, Derek and Dick.
More importantly I hope the ride was a successful fund raiser. I wished more people had attended, but it was good day with friends.

No comments: