Saturday, October 25, 2008

Time Off The Bike

This was my second Saturday in a row to miss riding with my group. Last weekend I spent the day with Cindi because it was her birthday and today I spent the day with my church group as we helped a young widow with 4 children. At the end of the day I feel just about as wiped out as I would have riding with the gang, but it was well worth the opportunity to stop and help someone in need once in a while. Really it was a blessing for us to help as we were able to witness how hard it is for this mother of 4 and one with down syndrome. My part in helping today was clearing thick brush and thorny weeds and I did get to handle some bikes so there was something bike related. As I cut through the thick brush with my weed trimmer equipped with steel blades I found at least 4 old cheap department store bikes rusted and forgotten. There were at least 5 more bikes stacked against the trailer with rusted chains and nearly flat tires. One of my friends yelled at me and asked if I found a Surly single speed mountain bike in there. I yelled back and told him I was really hoping to find a nice carbon Look frame in new condition.

Sometimes we think we have it tough, but helping this family today was a reminder there are plenty of people with greater struggles in life. Many of us spend our day cycling in the tranquility of the country side and there are those who struggle every minute of every day. Why not stop to help once in a while?

I am pretty much wiped out, but I hope to get out for a short 2 hour training ride tomorrow and try to keep a little fitness as we have a tough ride lined up for next weekend. Well at least tough for me since it involves 6,000 feet of climbing and I will be dragging my butt up those hills maybe for the last time in 2008.

No comments: