Tuesday, October 14, 2008

New PowerTap Wheel Build

Like many I never really considered a set of custom built wheels simply because I imagined the price was out of my range, but after using my first set of hand built wheels I realized that they are well within the price range of a set of popular boutique (brand name) wheels. Not only are they within the price range, but there are other things to consider about hand built wheels. A good builder will often ask how you ride, how much you weigh and other questions that may lead to a particular set of build components and lacing patterns based on the answers to those questions. They are often times just as light even with a higher spoke count than many of the highly marketed mass produced wheelsets. Some of the new brand name wheels that have some unique looking lacing pattern, ultra low weight and/or low spoke count may prove to be a real pain if a spoke breaks miles away from home or the car as I have witnessed numerous times with Ksyrium SL wheels.

Be aware that the builder may need to order the components and will go through a process to build the wheel. It may take two weeks or longer to complete a set, but when you receive that set my bet is you will really appreciate the solid build and ride compared to many high brand name wheels. Often times the components for a custom wheel build are overall a much better quality and will prove to be more dependable and last longer than a higher priced set of brand name wheels. In my opinion ordering from a good wheel builder is well worth the wait.

The new rear wheel that I purchased from Johnson Wheelworks was built using Kinlin XR-300 Niobium Rim (32 hole count), Sapim CX-Ray spokes, Powertap SL hub and Veloplugs instead of rim tape.



I ordered a matching front wheel from Johnson Wheelworks that will arrive in a few weeks with the same setup, but the hub will be a White Industries H2 hub.

Kent Johnson
Johnson Wheelworks
www.johnsonwheelworks.com (coming soon!)
Email: kent@johnsonwheelworks.com
113 Ofria Drive
Folsom, CA 95630

Data from the first L3/SST training ride with the new wheel.
Everything seems to be working great.


I will post pictures once I have the wheels mounted on the bike.

No comments: