Friday, October 3, 2008

6 Gap Century - Accident


October 6th Update

From Everglades Bicycle Club

For the last several days I have seen a lot of action on my blog with people from around the nation searching for Daniella Izquierdo. Perhaps to get an update about her condition. Perhaps many like me were praying for her diligently throughout the day for the last several days, but as it goes the Lord had different plans for Daniella today.

As I descended down Fort Mountain on Saturday the thought of Daniella (a complete stranger to me, but a fellow cyclist) was going through my mind as I confronted each turn in the fast descent. As the folks on the Everglades Bicycle blog pointed out Daniella confronted the opportunity and the challenge of 6 gap not settling for the 3 gap version. As cyclists we know the dangers (I even anticipate the possibility by wearing a RoadID braclet) and many of us have been very fortunate to have walked away from some of the worst accidents and yet we mount that bike and confront the next one again because we choose not to hide away in the house for self preservation. We get out there in life and face the challenges. That is just what Daniella did.

What is this life if we don't live it and how can we live it if we fear everything in front of us.

My thoughts and prayers for her family and friends

__________________________________________________

October 3rd
Each year people from around the nation participate in what is probably the toughest organized ride in Georgia, which is the Six Gap Century. It is no doubt a pinnacle of achievement to many and one that I have yet to attempt full out. I have done portions of the north Georgia gaps with friends, but not on this organized ride. My last ride was the following blog entry as I described my apprehension of descending on some of the gaps and descending Hog Pen was something I couldn't wait to get done because of my crash last year coming off of Burnt Mountain, which was a 40 mile per hour crash and I was extremely fortunate that I did not have a brain injury. It did split my Bell helmet in half, separated my shoulder and did extensive road rash, but I was very blessed indeed to have walked (limped) away from it.

Each time one of these type of events occurs regardless of whether we are involved or not it seems like we hope to hear that no one has any catastrophic accidents. This year we were not fortunate to hear that all went well. I heard from a good friend that participated in the event that he personally witnessed several accidents, but told me of one very severe accident. The following blog entry from Everglades Bicycle Club may be information regarding the individual. I hope to keep Daniella Izquierdo in my prayers that the Lord will watch over her as I have heard the crash and resulting injuries were very severe.

Tomorrow Gary, me and many other cyclists will be riding in the 2nd Annual Raisin Hope Foundation ride, which involves climbing and descending Fort Mountain. Last year, like many others I let it all loose as if I were racing downhill to win a big financial prize at the bottom and it seems that many others were racing as well. That was before my crash humbled me a bit. With me being a recreational level rider and my wife depending on being a team member for financial income to our household it makes sense for me to be a bit more careful descending tomorrow. My last crash cost me financially and physically with permanent scars and separated shoulder. It could have been much worse and I feel very blessed that it was not. If you are fortunate after the first severe crash it is good to reflect on these things and with road rash healing at a slow pace it is a constant reminder for weeks to keep reflecting on the risks and put things in perspective. The Raisin Hope Foundation ride is all about raising money for those with brain injuries just as former professional cyclist Saul Raisin is determined to accomplish through this event, but let's hope that tomorrow everyone participating will be safe tomorrow as they descend Ft. Mountain and keep things in perspective. Hearing about the Six Gap crash has definately made me reflect on this for the last couple of days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, she died today. That's all I want to say about that. I'm sure her family is grateful for all the well wishes and support.

The Cycling Addiction said...

Tony, from all of NARC (North Atlanta Cycling Club) to the friends of Daniella we give our condolences