Saturday, May 30, 2009

Taylorsville - Cave Springs 57 Mile Ride


(Me posing with the new LOOK 585 before the ride)
(Gary's new truck in the background)



View Interactive Map on MapMyRide.com


Garmin Connect Ride Data


Group Pictures by Gary Quellet


When Diane asked a few weeks ago if anyone would like a change of scenery and drive out to do the Taylorsville-Cavesprings route I was one of those who wanted to be included. The drive out is not much more than going to the brewery. Maybe an additional 15 minutes, but what an excellent route with low traffic, challenging rolling hills and some fast sections. The best part was having a promising forecast of sunny weather, which it was and it was a very pleasant day indeed.

Let's see if I can remember all those who were in the group today. Mike, Peter, Don "Chick", Jason, Edgar, Gary, Alan, Keith, Bill, Tim, Dick, Rod, Jesse (me), Princess Jamie and Princess Diane.

Another highlight for me besides this excellent group of cycling friends and great route was testing my new bike. It is always funny when someone gets a new bike in the group. People gather around to check it out. We just love new bikes even when someone else gets one. I had Rod and Edgar give it a test run before the ride start and then soon it was my turn to see what this machine would feel like over the 57 mile course. Would it feel faster? I gave it a good test about mile 23 and opened up my turbocharger. Not only did the SRAM Red compact crank and 11 gear feel so nice, my move incited a bunch of guys to join in on the test run. Next thing I know there was a bump in testosterone with several chasing and passing me. These guys were not about to let the guy with the new bike get away with an early breakaway so I was content to take my place once again in the back and gladly so since I am still in a rebuilding phase.

I forgot to ask Gary how the new ceramic bearings were feeling on his Tarmac SL, but from the looks of him being near the front often I am guessing he was liking them. But I can't forget to mention that we had two princesses with us today keeping the men in line or at least on the proper side of the double yellow line and making sure the racing and chasing outburst of the guys did not get too out of hand. I heard Edgar get reprimanded for some sort of violation, but I am not sure what it was. :-)

The guys did throttle up the engines once again in the last nine miles going back to the cars. I was up in the lead after making a turn when Tim, Edgar and the rest of the guys come by. Not long after trying to sprint to catch up to them I experienced a cramp on the inner right thigh, but I am getting used to this by now as my fitness level is starting to improve again. It won't be long before I will be back in those impromptu races that break out. Until then I will continue to ride the majority of miles with more restraint.

Thanks Diane for planning and scheduling the Taylorsville-Cavesprings ride on this very fine sunny day. We had very low traffic and when there was a car they seemed to be very polite and patient with us. Very good route that I hope we can throw in the mix more than just once a year and great friendship among this group.

At the end I was very excited about the new bike and SRAM Red group. I watched as the bike was built with great amount of care and detail and I could feel the difference on today's ride. There was a point where it threw the chain off the outside of the big ring, but that may have been my fault. Other than that I quickly got used to the double tap shifting style and was impressed how crisp and easy shifting up and down the gears felt. I also believe we have the bike setup pretty good because I was comfortable during the 57 mile ride and the bike handled incredible on climbing, flat, descending and just about everything. There is no doubt that what ever pressure you apply to the pedals that bike is going to surge forward.

It responds with efficiency and it is amazing how light this bike feels when picked up or climbing a hill, but overall the LOOK 585 feels as good with rubber on the pavement as I had hoped.

..........and happy anniversary to Gary and Arlene Quellet!!!

No comments: