Saturday, May 9, 2009

Up The Creek Century - 2009




(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)
Garmin Connect Ride Data

I made it!!!
In reference to my last goal and now I get some much needed rest, but my performance on my favorite event was not what I had hoped at all. Although I was fully expecting to struggle since I have been spiraling downward for weeks with fatigue, there was always hope to start and finish well otherwise why do it?

First let me give my appreciation to all those who worked the event. From the police and troopers at certain intersections to those working the food stations and those who organized this awesome annual event. They painted rough spots in the roads, had the intersections well marked and had put up signs as well that could be seen from a distance warning of a turn or high traffic area. I wish all event organizers would go to this level. Probably the only other event that I have participated in that equals this level is 3 State 3 Mountain and they are hard to beat for organizing.


Ride Report:
Our brewery group met in force today.
There are just too many people to list on my blog, but we had a lot riders representing NARC and the brew crew. Our goal was to get a slight head start so that we could avoid the mass start. I hope that did not annoy the organizers too much, but it can be dangerous to mix in with a lot of people wanting to act as if they are on the pro tour. Still our group set off on a fast pace and I knew that many were wanting to best their time from last year.
I was about 6 back in a group of 40 to 50 riders with a pace in the mid 20 and increasing it seemed. At mile 20 the elevation began climbing and the fun for my legs was over. That is when I started feeling the effects of the fatigue that I have been battling for a number of weeks and even worse I couldn't sleep last night because I had to go constantly through the night. Waking up at 4 am with little sleep to get ready for the drive and being dehydrated plus the ongoing fatigue maybe I should have bailed at the metric turn off, but I was determined to go the distance even if it was not a pretty finish. Each time I made it to a sag stop the group that I knew was ready to take off and I can't blame them. No reason sitting around getting stiff waiting on me. I could not keep up anyway. So I did the majority of the ride solo like last year facing rain and headwinds alone. The bad part of riding alone I just had to deal with my mind messing with me while being frustrated with the fatigue and how this season has panned out for training.

At one sag stop Gary and Mike tried their best to wait for me, but not long after I joined them I had a really bad cramp on my left inner thigh on a small climb. I was back to riding solo until a group of the brew crew catch up with me. Once I moved into the draft I started feeling a little better and was able to hang with them, but I started cramping again so I dropped off again. A short time later I see Jeff and Margaret stopped and she is having bad cramps.

Jeff patiently towed us to the next sag stop. My bottles were empty as much as my stomach felt empty. Jeff again pulled us the remaining 15 miles back to the mall parking lot.
Thanks Jeff for your patience helping Margaret and me make it back.

Up The Creek Without a Pedal is still my favorite event and I hope to do better next year.
My next goal is to get some much needed rest and then start rebuilding again.

No comments: