Saturday, August 14, 2010

Red Bud - 60 Miles

Garmin Connect Ride Data
Garmin Ride Summary:
Distance: 59 mi
Elevation Gain: 2,438 ft
Moving Time: 03:32:36
Avg Speed: 16.7 mph
Max Speed: 33.6 mph

Group: Diane & Mike R., Alan, Gary, Mike Q., Derek, Bill, Ron, Steve (two friends of Steve) and me.

Happy Anniversary to Diane and Mike and both shared part of their special day riding with us.

The Ride: Rain was forecast today at 50%, but it did not prevent the group listed from showing up to ride. We used a variation of the typical Redbud route just in case of storms so that we could use a shortcut to get back if lightning was involved. Thankfully, the group that did the 60 mile option did not feel a drop through the duration of the course. Gary, Mike and Derek went from the store stop to do the full route, which was supposed to be 70 miles, but they may have ended with more since we missed a turn earlier and we all tacked a few extra miles.

This week was the same as I dropped from the 60 mile group about mile ~45 or at least they were out of my view by that point. Like weeks past, my goal was to keep the effort within certain zones as much as possible. I still had a few hills that had me going above my threshold, but not too bad..At mile 50 my legs felt fatigued from the intervals this past week so I was content to sit in level 3 until the parking lot.

However, I burned some matches on Cass Pine Log Road when I caught up with a small group of guys. One of the guys had dropped his buddies so as I passed each one I asked if they wanted to catch him. Each said yes so I told them to get on my wheel and I began the pursuit. The guy ahead was looking back and not slowing down, but also not surging. I looked back and the guys were struggling to hold my pace. I pushed ahead and caught the lead guy, but managed to drop his buddies in the process. Oh well we gave it a try, but I mismanaged pulling his buddies up or they were just too tired to hang. Once I got on his wheel he surged, but I was too burnt to surge with him on the last couple miles.

Overall the ride just seemed like a typical day out with friends and I am getting more comfortable dropping off the back of the group and riding solo. I sure hope this training method works and I plan to stay dedicated to this plan until next spring and maybe from now on if it works out well.

Gary, Mike and Derek finished with 74 miles, a few minutes of rain and picked up a few cyclists on the way back into the brewery. Gary says they all riding strong. I believe it. I have seen them push the pace lately.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: (2) 24 oz. bottle of water with Hammer Heed, (1) Cliff bar (1) gel (1) 20 gram Whey protein post ride recovery drink (4) Endurolytes pre-ride

The Weather:  Very cloudy, 87 (feels like 87 according the Weather Channel), humidity 71%, winds ENE 9 mph

Bike: Cannondale six13 (rain bike)

Power Summary: (Based on Coogan's Levels)
Total Ride Minutes: 211.43
Total Ride TSS:  207.21
  Level   Minutes       TSS
      1      6.55      2.10
      2     88.41     56.96
      3    110.65    134.06
      4      0.00      0.00
      5      0.00      0.00
      6      0.00      0.00
      7      5.82     14.09



Power Data:
 Entire workout (110 watts):
    Duration:      3:32:53 (3:45:00)
    Work:          1400 kJ
    TSS:           207.8 (intensity factor 0.77)
    Norm Power:    146
    VI:            1.33
    Distance:      59.12 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    548    110     watts
    Cadence:         30    236    83     rpm
    Speed:           0    33.9    16.6     mph
    Pace             1:46    0:00    3:37     min/mi
    Hub Torque:      0    337    50     lb-in
    Crank Torque:    0    1040    119     lb-in

No comments: