Saturday, January 28, 2012

Brewery to Cagle Road - If / Else Statement

Garmin Connect Data
Ride with GPS Data
Training Peaks Data
Garmin Summary
Moving Time: 4:08:48 (4:17:03 total)
Distance: 72 miles
Avg Moving Speed 17.5 mph
Elevation Gain: 2,362 ft

Group A (85 mile route): Diane, Neal, Joe, Craig, Gary, Mike and Keith
Group B (70 mile route): me

Goal: Meet the prescribed conditions as best possible. 4 hours total / <300 TSS / 0.8 IF

The Ride: Have you  ever used an IF/ELSE statement in programming or in Excel? You know it is a conditional statement to control variables and encourage a certain output - at least that is my crude definition. With only having Friday off from cycling training and with the hope of another week ahead in training I wanted to have control of today's ride variables so that I train just enough, but not so hard that it impacts the days ahead in a negative way. In a crude way I thought about the conditions. I selected my out and back route to control the turning point and it is relatively flat so I can better control a steady tempo.

If: ride time going out is < 2 hours continue forward / Else: turn back
If: ride TSS going out is <150 continue forward / Else: turn back 

By having those two conditions and with hope to keep a 0.8 IF I felt this would be a good training effort. It would be enough load and yet not so much that it would interfere with the upcoming days.

I kind of figured one of the results of these conditions would amount to about a 70 mile ride for the total. Since I hit the 2 hour mark before I hit the TSS condition my turning point was just at 35 miles. On the way out and back on hills or anytime I went up into the higher watts I could really feel last weeks training and the fatigue on my legs, but with the goal of a steady (L3) Tempo effort the discomforts of fatigue were random.

I stopped at the Sunoco with about 20 miles to go to remove a thermal base layer. Even though this morning was quite brisk I kind of thought I may have overdressed. I am not sure what was worse. Wearing the base layer or having rolled up in my back jersey pocket. It felt like I was riding with a basketball back there. Oh well....the next thing I know I am done and not feeling all that fatigued. I suppose I should be ready for intervals tomorrow.

.....and to Mr. Chow, I was quite unimpressed with your performance today. You've had better days chasing me. Your form looked very sloppy and your anaerobic power looks a little diminished. I certainly hope you do better next time. Your stumpy little friend down the road did much better getting close to my heel. Better luck next time.

The song playing in my head through most of the ride today was by Stuart Hine and with the beauty of today it was a good song to be constantly on my mind.

O Lord my God! when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hand hath made
I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder
Thy power throughout the universe displayed

Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: ~40 oz. of water with Hammer Perpetuem, BCAA's, Gluatamine (1) Cliff bar (2) Hammer Gels (1) 40 gram whey protein post ride recovery drink (1) chicken salad sandwich on whole grain toast, 10 oz skim milk.

The Weather: Sunny skies at the start @ 32 degrees, End sunny skies @ 60 degrees, breezy

Bike: Cannondale six13, Garmin 800, Powertap SL+

Overall Power Data:
 Lap 1:
    Duration:      2:03:34
    Work:          1089 kJ
    TSS:           131.5 (intensity factor 0.801)
    Norm Power:    164
    VI:            1.12
    Distance:      35.234 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    431    147     watts
    Cadence:         13    191    79     rpm
    Speed:           0    33.2    17.1     mph
    Pace             1:48    0:00    3:30     min/mi


Lap 2:
    Duration:      2:05:02
    Work:          1027 kJ
    TSS:           120.2 (intensity factor 0.759)
    Norm Power:    156
    VI:            1.14
    Distance:      34.83 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    520    137     watts
    Cadence:         8    246    77     rpm
    Speed:           0    37.9    16.7     mph
    Pace             1:35    0:00    3:35     min/mi


Entire workout (140 watts):
    Duration:      4:17:13
    Work:          2162 kJ
    TSS:           257.3 (intensity factor 0.775)
    Norm Power:    159
    VI:            1.13
    Distance:      72.367 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    520    140     watts
    Cadence:         8    246    78     rpm
    Speed:           0    37.9    16.9     mph
    Pace             1:35    0:00    3:33     min/mi
    Altitude:        635    924    749     ft
    Crank Torque:    0    1383    157     lb-in
    Temperature:     32    62.6    46.1     Fahrenheit

No comments: