Sunday, January 8, 2012

Ultrasonic Cleaning - Worth It?

It may be worth a look and a purchase of an Ultrasonic tub if you have more than just bike parts. I tinker around with a lot of mechanical type projects so this was something that I thought I would give a try to clean intricate and hard to reach areas on smaller items. For cycling I am not sure if it is worth the purchase since there are not too many parts that can be placed in the tub. I have read that some guys have cleaned chains, but I have also read that the tub is really good at removing all the dirt and lubricant. This makes is really tough to get the chain lubricated again.

Here is a quick photo review of me cleaning a really nasty cassette that has been in out on several wet rides and is full of grit and dirty oil. This cleaning took about 20 minutes of the tub working, but if I had to clean this it would have been me scrubbing with a tooth brush with a lot more mess.

Purchased from Amazon for roughly $80

Unboxed - It is a simple tub and easy to operate heated or unheated

Nasty Cassette

Simple Green Pro HD is supposed to be easy on all metals

After running a couple times and cleaning the water it looks like one more time is needed.

Cleaned and ready for the next adventure




No comments: