Saturday, January 7, 2012

Brewery to Cagle - This Ain't No Fooling Around

A Tranquil Scene Along the Way

 
Garmin Connect Data
Ride with GPS Data
Training Peaks Data

Group: Solo

Goal: Finish the week of training with a 4 hour ride with a good bit of time in Tempo (L3).

The Ride:
This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
this ain't no fooling around
No time for dancing, or lovey dovey,
I ain't got time for that now
Talking Heads
As it goes for the avid cyclists watching the weather radar and forecast leading up to the much anticipated Saturday ride, we watched. We had hope. We made the drive and the choice to make our trek forward with what looked like skies that were ready to open up and pour down. 

I was at the brewery parking lot ready to roll out at 9 this morning. It was a pleasure to see Neal, Diane, Mike, Dick, Don, Craig, Jeff, Jamie, Alan and a bunch of others prepare to roll out. For me I was scrolling down the Garmin 800 looking for my typical route and making sure the power meter was calibrated. I rolled out of the brewery solo and on my way to what I had hoped would be a four hour ride. The route and the time in the saddle was all part of the week's training plan. A tough choice to make as part of me would have liked to roll out with my friends.

Fortunately the temperature was really mild for January. I  had on summer gear with a long sleeve base layer and leg warmers. I used shoe covers to keep my feet dry and I am glad that I did. I had my Sugoi ultra lightweight jacket in the back jersey pocket just in case.

As I typically roll along solo there is something that usually pops up in my mind to keep me motivated. Today it was the Talking Heads song, but only the part listed above. This ain't no party! This ain't no disco! This ain't no fooling around! It kept me entertained and I kept thinking of training - it ain't no fooling around. I am steadfast on my continued goal to improve my aerobic conditioning and it continues on through this year. My focus is really not on building anaerobic power at the moment. I just want to get better at endurance cycling and hopefully with a little more speed to boot.

Well, I met my goal for the day. 4 hours on the bike as my first day back on the pavement for 2012 and a touch under 70 miles. I felt pretty good considering I had some really good training time this week indoors and my legs were tired. I could feel it in those last 15 miles. A few little twinges of pain here and there, but not too bad for the start of the season. 
And the rain held off until I was finished. It started raining just as I pulled out of the parking lot. What a blessing. Thank You Lord!!

Bike: Cannondale six13, Garmin 800, Powertap SL+
Dirty Backup (Rain) Bike

 

No comments: