Sunday, October 14, 2012

Comet - Obstacles





Route:
Distance: 31 miles
Avg. Moving Speed:  17.7
Moving Time: 1:42:59
Total Time:  1:49:27
Ride Total TSS: 101 (0.75 IF)
Group:
Solo
Goal:
2 x 60 at Tempo
Ride Description:
I did not meet the goal of the day, but it was a good day for other reasons. I ran into a number of obstacles starting with getting stuck in traffic on the way down to the Comet with every southbound lane of I-75 at a dead stop. There were a lot of people out on the path today despite dark clouds above and about 4 miles into the ride I came up on a crash scene. It was an older gentleman that probably clipped the edge of the pavement and lost control. When I was approaching he was laying on the ground then he stood up and staggered out on the path and fell over again. I stopped to talk to him and his wife and he was holding his shoulder, which it looked like he has either broken his collar bone or separated. There wasn't much I could do except try to calm them both down and give him a Germ-X wipe that I had in my bag to wipe down the bloody road rash spots. Because of these things I had to cut my training time short today, but stopping to help someone like this is far more important than training.

From that point forward I just could not seem to get into a groove where I could sustain the power output because of traffic stops and people. I quickly came to the conclusion to do what I can do with the situation and be happy to be out spinning cranks and do it in a safe manner if possible. There were a few moments when I had clear pavement ahead and the legs were more than ready. It was a breeze to glide right up into Level 4 and being that I was outside holding that number was not really a struggle today, but there were only a few times where I had enough open path in front of me to open up the engine.
Nutrition Intake During and after the Course:
24 oz from Bottle #1 water, Glutamine, maltodextrin
Post Ride | 30 gram protein drink
Bike: 
Felt B10, Garmin 800, Powertap SL+
Bike: 
Very cloudy, breezy, 69 F
Overall Powertap Data: 
Entire workout (147 watts):    Duration:      1:46:05 (1:49:29)
    Work:          936 kJ
    TSS:           101.4 (intensity factor 0.759)
    Norm Power:    159
    VI:            1.08
    Distance:      31.12 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    562    147     watts
    Cadence:         9    246    73     rpm
    Speed:           0    26.2    17.7     mph
    Pace             2:17    0:00    3:24     min/mi
    Altitude:        882    1163    1040     ft
    Crank Torque:    0    1765    178     lb-in
    Temperature:     66.2    69.8    69.1     Fahrenheit

No comments: