Saturday, September 24, 2016

Orange Beach Cycling

I couldn't have asked for a better week to spend vacation with my wife. The weather, though really hot, was great in terms of wind and cycling. Each day the wind came from the north at no more than 5 mph average. This was a crosswind and made the out and back east to west direction very pleasant. 

I had about 24 miles from our fourth floor condo rental at the Phoenix IV out to the bridge leading into Pensacola making a small loop back on the bike lanes. During the week I had one flat and at a perfect moment if one could call it that. The Michelin Pro4 with latex tube popped about and eight of a mile before ending at the condo and held enough air that allowed me to change the tube inside the condo. Oddly it did not pop from glass or debris. Even though the latex tube had a lot of miles it flatted because I did not clear it from the tire bead in one spot and finally pinched several small holes. 

The bike lanes out and back were pretty clean with just a couple spots of glass, but could easily be seen and avoided in the early morning light. Random walkers and joggers can make it a little challenging at times as some will force you out into car lanes. With early morning traffic I did not have trouble navigating around and certainly appreciated those running/walking toward me that allowed me to stay closer to the edge line since they could view cars from their direction. On Sunday I had to navigate around a lot of cyclists participating in the MS 150 charity ride, but I was glad to see so many out having fun and raising money for a good cause.

Apart from cycling we had a good time trying out a few new places to eat, but still enjoyed our favorite place at the Wharf, Villaggio Grille. If I would have had my way we would have dined there for lunch every day. 

Now it is back to the grind of the work week. Of course training to me is never really a grind. Inside or outside, recreational or intentional training is all good in my opinion. Loves it!!

Random Cycling Pictures

Nothing like a pre-ride ocean view devotional and a couple pop tarts to get the day started


Many MS150 Cyclists on Saturday and Sunday



Helped this cyclist with a small mechanical issue


Bridge going into Pensacola. Route makes a right and goes under the bridge.
Typical view of the bike lane on the Florida side







Strava Daily Links

Saturday - Travel Day
Sunday - Link
Monday - Link
Tuesday - Link
Wednesday - Link
Thursday - Link
Friday - Link
Saturday - Travel Day

Bike Used
 LOOK  585 


Random Pictures








No comments: