Monday, October 16, 2017

Week 19 PCL Rehab

Each week of strength training I can observe an improvement at the gym and also just in normal daily activities. Just walking has greatly improved to the point there is no observed imbalances or stability issues. Now and then I can feel the PCL give just a little, but it is rare. On the bike I have not noticed any issues. I feel pretty good for how my strength is coming back, but my endurance and cycling performance is still lagging behind and has been very slow to return to what it was prior to the crash.


 On week 15 I did a test at 630 x 5 and missed the goal by one rep. Today I met this goal  with 630 x 6 and wanted to progress on up in weight.

 
So I thought I would give a try with 16 plates. This was quite intimidating and I failed mostly out of fear and ended up with a 720 x 1. I will continue to work with a bit lighter weight until I feel fairly confident that my knee is stable enough. At 54 years old I am also a bit nervous of a muscle strain.

 

As mentioned on previous rehab post I could do Hack Squats with full range of motion. My knee has improved a bit each time I stretch that depth.



Squats are my trouble area for the knee. Although this morning it was feeling better there is still the wrong type of discomfort and I decided to stay light using the Smith Machine. I am also using the Smith Machine because I can unlock the bar without having to take a step back out of a squat rack. I am too nervous to step out of the rack with not feeling fully confident that my knee can remain stable.


No comments: