Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pop Goes The.........

You would think with the title and activity of this blog that my biggest addiction is cycling, but the truth is lifting weights has been my biggest addiction for the past 27 years. Of course I have seen my better days in the gym. Back in the 90's I was able to use fairly heavy weight for my size. Now days I suppose I do more of just maintenance type of lifting compared to those old days of real strength training. From fall to the first of the year I attempt to do a strength training phase if my body can hold up. Unfortunately sometimes it does not.

On Monday I was quickly reminded that my better days are over, though in stubbornness I still keep trying. My warm up using the Cybex leg press went okay. I went up to (12 total) 45 pound plates as a warm up for squats. I then moved over to start squats. The first few sets of squats were just 135 pounds x 10 just to get the feel of the bar and look at my form. I go through a particular ritual before starting to go up to the heavier weights. The second warm up set I went up to 185 and felt a little something in my lower back so I did a repeat with 185 (normally a fairly light weight for me). I think it was on the eighth rep coming out of the bottom I leaned slightly forward. Probably not even noticeable to the eye, but I knew it and felt that spot in my lower back give.

I cannot explain it but I knew right then it was not good. Immediately pain set in and through the rest of the day it was getting worse. Monday evening I got on my inversion table and that helped a tremendous amount. Tuesday morning I did a spin class very lightly to get some motion in the area, stretched my hips and hamstrings and then stretched again that evening. Wednesday I spent some time stretching in the morning and then went to my chiropractor at lunch. He did a side posture adjustment and "pop" instant relief. Sweet relief, but my back is still tender so I need to reevaluate this strength training phase. I was able to hold in the 200's watts on the bike trainer on Tuesday evening so I think cycling for this weekend is on and I expect to train legs (lightly) this coming Monday and then start trying to ramp up the weight again.


2 comments:

dwnhllgrl said...

hi jesse! i hope your back gets better. hope to see you next weekend. diane

The Cycling Addiction said...

Thanks
Look forward to your return to the group rides.