Saturday, June 23, 2012

Brewery to Cagle Road

Garmin Connect Map & Data
Ride with GPS Map & Data
Strava
Ride Summary
Distance: 67.3 miles
Avg. Moving Speed: 16.7
Moving Time: 4:01:49
Total Time: 4:27:40

Group: Diane, Dan, Paul, Mike and me (Later I put in a few miles with Armand and Stephen)

Goal: Steady aerobic pace at a lower intensity. Save the legs for Time Trial training on Sunday

The Ride: 
I was thinking earlier in the week that I would be going out this Saturday for an easy paced solo ride on the TT bike, but I got a note from Diane that she was joining me with some friends so I swapped the wheels back to my road bike and set off for an early roll out time from the brewery. Little did I know who Diane was bringing with her. Guys that I would struggle to keep up when I am fresh, much less, trying to ride with them when I am fatigued. And fatigued I was. I learned another lesson and that is not to do L5 intervals on Thursday and then attempt a long distance ride a couple days after.

I tried to keep to my plan and started a steady pace as soon as we turned on Cass Pine Log Road and I was out in the front briefly before the Diane and guys were back on my wheel and then at mile 23 they began pushing forward and out of my sight. I just did not have it in my legs to attempt to keep up, but worse than that I could feel how fatigued my legs were as my pace began to slow down. The best decision I made all day was to turn early and not go the full distance of the 80 mile route. On the way back I met Stephen and Armand at the Sunoco. From there it was solo in the full sun and heat and my legs not wanting to go any more than 15 mph made for a long 20 mile return.

The next best that happened was pulling into Sosebee bike park and seeing Rod, Courtney and Craig. Courtney offered some chilled watermelon - Oh My!! - that was the most awesome thing in my life at that very moment. Thank You!! Rod and Courtney. Stephen and Armand pulled into the bike park and from there the three of us headed back out on the road to finish the final few miles to the brewery. Armand put on a good pace to catch a couple of guys and then Stephen did a good pull. I was doing all I could just to hold on.

Back at the brewery it was a quick change of clothes, plenty of cold water poured down the throat and over the head and then over to talk with some cycling buddies. I got to see and talk with Alan, Jim, Jeff and a few others before Dan, Paul, Mike and Diane rolled in looking pretty good for a HOT 81 mile ride.

Certainly I have had much better personal performance days, but considering how well training went this week I am not upset with not being able to keep up with the gang. It is what it is and there will be other days to try to hang with the pace and miles. I am just grateful to be out on the bike getting some miles.

Plus I have wife permission to go out and train Sunday after church.
How sweet is that! More miles in the Georgia Heat.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course:
24 oz from Bottle #1 water, BCAA's, Glutamine, egg protein, maltodextrin, plus refills with plain water
24 oz from Bottle #2  water, BCAA's, Glutamine, plus refills with plain water
1 Cliff Bar @ mile 35
Finish | 40 gram whey protein drink
Home | homemade protein smoothie

The Weather: Sunny skies at the start @ 74 degrees, on the return @ 97 degrees
Bike: LOOK 585 - group ride,  Garmin 800, Powertap SL+

Overall Powertap Data:
Entire workout (124 watts):
    Duration:      4:10:11 (4:27:46)
    Work:          1862 kJ
    TSS:           215.6 (intensity factor 0.72)
    Norm Power:    151
    VI:            1.22
    Distance:      67.33 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    501    124     watts
    Cadence:         7    239    83     rpm
    Speed:           0    35.9    16.2     mph
    Pace             1:40    0:00    3:43     min/mi
    Crank Torque:    0    1600    132     lb-in
    Temperature:     68    113    81.6     Fahrenheit

2 comments:

dwnhllgrl said...

Glad u got a ride in today Jesse. It was great to see u & ride w/ u although brief. Your strength & perseverance amaze me! Keep it up!

The Cycling Addiction said...

Thanks Diane