Friday, November 4, 2016

When It All Comes Apart


Old Indoor Training Shoe Failure


If I could only express in writing the difficulty attempting to train yesterday after work. It all seem to come apart as if training, for whatever reason, wasn't supposed to happen.


I went through all my pre-training setup protocol, which typically takes no more than a minute or more. Nothing was out of the ordinary at first. The fans were turned on, the TV dialed to the normal station and muted, Pandora station started, Quarq ELSA spin to wake up, Laptop booted up, PerfPro initialized, workout prompted, Kickr appeared to pair, but then no power meter signal. So I looked at the ANT+ settings in PerfPro and it appeared to be connected yet still no signal at the workout portion.


I thought maybe the battery in the Quarq was weak so I changed it and go back into PerfPro, but still no signal at the workout. I go up to get the 820 to see if it picks up the power meter and it does with a strong signal. I then tried TrainerRoad and it is intermittently picking up the Quarq and the Kickr. The sensor signal is weak for both. One is Bluetooth and the other is ANT+. I tried pulling the BT and ANT+ dongles from the laptop, reboot and still the signals are weak. I tried my iPhone with an ANT+ dongle and look at the Quarq app but it does not pick up the Quarq. I tried the TrainerRoad phone app and it picks up both, but when I tried a workout it quickly went up to really high watts to the point I could not pedal.


I go back to the TrainerRoad laptop application and it is picking up both, but it also quickly ramps up to high resistance and I cannot pedal. It was like it was totally ignoring the ERG mode workout target.


But then while in the midst of all this fooling around trying to get the equipment setup my shoe comes apart. At that point I just gave up.


Other than the shoe thing I've had this happen before and the next training session everything just pair up like a charm. I just hope that on Monday it will all cooperate.


Other than that I am fairly excited about improving my sustainable power beyond one hour and actually would like to improve from the three to five hour mark. On my typical 80 to 100 mile course the drop off is about at the three hour mark where I succumb to fatigue. I already knew that I was struggling, but I did not have a measurement or view of how much. The nice thing about the new WKO 4 metrics is TTE and Stamina. I can now see it better and hope to shape my training to have a positive influence on sustainable power in those last couple of hours.




No comments: