Saturday, November 19, 2016

Windy Solo 80



Route and Ride Data Links:

Strava - Today's Route

Ride Metrics:

Distance (mile): 80.2
Speed (mph): 17
Cadence (rpm): 69
Time Moving: 4:42:42
Time Total: 4:59:53
Work (kj): 2209
Normal Power: 153
Average Power: 132
Max Power: 488
VI: 1.16
TSS: 280.8
IF: 0.78

Goal:

Build Endurance and recreation

Ride Description:

The first sound I heard when I woke up at four this morning was the wind whipping through the trees. The forecast saying the winds were coming down from the northwest at 17 mph and to me if I were to do my typical route would mean 40 miles of direct headwind. 

I was not deterred. So I put on my Battle Legs and mindset on going for it. As I rolled out from the brewery there were only handful of other cyclists heading out. Bright red LED blinkies on the helmet with dark skies ahead and wind hitting the chest I was ready to tuck and go. For the next 40 miles was a battle with sometimes hitting wattage well above my threshold and barely going 12 mph. It was a hard slog going north.

At the turn point I knew there was going to be a payoff for the effort. Sure enough the ride back was sweet in terms of cruising, but challenging holding the Tri bike in a straight line.

I was short a few miles of having 80 so having to turn back into the headwind to make up a few miles was a bummer, but it was done and the ride was done. Thankfully. 

Yay!! Participation Trophy!!

Weather:

Temperature Start (F): 55
Temperature Finish (F): 58
Wind: NW 17+ mph
Sky: Dark clouds at start and then sunny later

Nutrition Intake During and Immediately After:

Bottle #1 24oz. Water, BSN Amino X, Maltodextrin, Trace Mineral Drops
Bottle #2 10oz. Water, BSN Amino X, Maltodextrin, Trace Mineral Drops
Bottle #3 0oz. Water
GU gel at mile 24
Clif Bar at mile 40
Post Ride: 30 gram protein drink

Gear:

 Felt  B10 


No comments: