Sunday, February 26, 2017

BBC31 - SRAM etap wifli test


Route and Ride Data Links:

Strava - Today's Route

Ride Metrics:

Distance (mile): 31
Speed (mph): 16
Cadence (rpm): 62
Time Moving: 1:55:34
Time Total: 1:59:37
Work (kj): 843
Normal Power: 146
Average Power: 123
Max Power: 472
VI: 1.19
TSS: 106
IF: 0.75

Goal:

Spin a few miles and give the SRAM etap system a test

Ride Description:

This was my first real ride with the older LOOK 585 upgrade using the SRAM etap wifli group. I was a bit too fatigued from yesterday's ride to really hammer this route, but with the variable road gradients I went through all the gears and not a single hiccup from the group except a few user errors. Shifting was precise with no sounds of it hunting for a gear or time to settle in on a gear. There was a slight hesitation shifting from the small ring to large ring, but I am talking about milliseconds and probably no slower than what I have perceived from the mechanical group. The user errors were me not being used to the shifting with the left side going up the cog to easier gear and the right shifter shifting down to the harder gears. These error happened while riding with my friend Mike and talking with him and was just reflex from being used to the SRAM double tap mechanical. I suppose it will take a few more rides for this to become more natural even when talking or thinking about other things.

I also liked having the gear ratio displayed on the Garmin Edge 820. I didn't think that would be a useful display, but it actually was nice to reference at times. Another thing that I like about this system is if a battery is drained or defective during the ride, the working battery could be swapped to the component to shift to an all-round gear to finish out the ride or I suppose it would be easy to carry a spare if needed. The batteries are small and light. 

Anyway I know there are plenty of great reviews out there with plenty of technical details. I will just toss in my general thoughts that I really like this system and look forward to putting a putting a lot more miles on my refreshed LOOK 585. This bike is still a rocket ship in terms of lightweight carbon frames and it felt even better today.

By the way the gearing felt great using 52/36 rings with a 11-32 cassette. I feel like this gives me a broad range of gearing for different types of routes.

Oh...I almost forgot. About mile 14 I see my friend Mike going the opposite direction. He turned and rode with me until his stop at Sosebee. Thanks Mike for riding with me today.

Weather:

Temperature Start (F): 55
Temperature Finish (F): 55
Wind: Calm to breezy
Sky: clear and sunny

Nutrition Intake During and Immediately After:

Bottle #1 24oz. Water, BSN Amino X, Maltodextrin

Gear:

 LOOK  585 


No comments: