Saturday, April 1, 2017

Solo 100 and 2017 Desoto 400 Mile Bib

2017 DeSoto Sports 400 Mile Bib Short
The 400 Mile Bibs have been my go to short for a number of years. 

Route and Ride Data Links:

Strava - Today's Route

Ride Metrics:

Distance (mile): 100.4
Speed (mph): 18.2
Cadence (rpm): 71
Time Moving: 5:31:50
Time Total: 5:42:28
Work (kj): 2714
Normal Power: 155
Average Power: 136
Max Power: 434
VI: 1.14
TSS: 364.8
IF: 0.816

Goal:

Build Endurance

Ride Description:

Out and Back Spin. Once again headwinds on the way up and tailwinds on the way back. No complaints with that scenario and no complaints from the 2017 DeSoto 400 Mile bib shorts. 

I ordered and received the latest 400 Mile and Mobius bib shorts to add to my collection of DeSoto bibs and shorts. I had no fear of cutting the tags off and wearing a brand new pair on today's longer route. Anything over 50 to 60 miles I will be using the 400 mile pad. But to be honest I use these shorts and bibs for 95% of my rides and training, including shorter indoor intervals. 

One of my thoughts on purchasing cycling gear is that anything that melts into the background and is not noticed becomes my best gear. It is the stuff that distracts, disturbs and annoys during the ride that gets poor marks from me. Cycling for me is the focus on cycling and not focusing on gear during the ride. If I don't notice it and I have to think about it to give a review than it is likely functioning like I want as a consumer.

Once again Emilio has raised the bar on the 400 Mile Bib shorts and I didn't think that was possible. The new straps are very comfortable and very light feeling. I like the pad thickness and density for a longer route. I also like the Forza material that has a light compression feel. The side pockets are handy for stashing gels for those long self-supported rides and there is a larger pocket in the back that would hold a phone. I have never used the rear pocket, but it is there if you need one.

No issues during today's ride with comfort or other issues. The 2017 400 Mile bib short will be getting a lot more miles this year. You can find more information at DeSoto Sports. If you desire less compression in the material, thinner pad or all black with no white stitching just check out what they have at DeSoto's web page. They have a variety to pick from that suit different tastes and goals. Today's ride was on the Felt with most of time spent down in aero and using a Cobb V-flow plus saddle.

Weather:

Temperature Start (F): 52
Temperature Finish (F): 71
Wind: 7mph NNW
Sky: Partly cloudy

Nutrition Intake During and Immediately After:

Bottle #1 24oz. Water, Extend BCAA, Maltodextrin (finished mile 70)
Bottle #2 15oz. Water, Extend BCAA, Maltodextrin
Bottle #3 0oz. Water
GU gel at mile 24
Clif Bar at mile 60
Post Ride: 30 gram protein drink

Gear:

 Felt  B10 

Of course the main attraction for me is this pad, but all of it together makes a great short.

Very light bib straps do not cut in or pull. They are very comfortable.

Nice wide leg band from the Mobius material is very comfortable.




No comments: