Saturday, August 13, 2011

2011 Chattooga Metric


RidewithGPS Data
Garmin Connect Ride Data
Garmin Ride Summary (totals):
Distance: 63.12 mi
Moving Time: 03:48:02
Avg Moving Speed: 16.6 mph
Max Speed: 34.4 mph

Group:
Started with 7: Diane, Elizabeth, Laurie, Joe, Don (Chick), 2 of Don's friends.
Finished with 4: Paula, Paula, Katie, Felicia
Talked with John (from Chattanooga)

Goal: Survive the century (Did the metric route instead)

The Event:  The Chattooga Century event helps fund athletics for Chattooga High School and even though it is an event organized by mostly non-cyclist I have to say they do one of the best cycling events around. The high school is used for the base facility with restrooms and showers. The early morning sign in was fast and all those who helped during the event were so helpful and friendly. This event is on my recommended list of events for participation in North Georgia.

The last time I did this event was around 2007 and I remembered enjoying the route and as I remembered it was really enjoyable. I was hoping to do the century this year, but ended up turning on the metric turnoff. The metric routes has nice rolling hills and a few flatter sections.

They had plenty of volunteers, workers at the sag stops, plenty of sag vehicles cruising the course, well painted markings that were clear to see and color coded for mileage, turn off signs that were easy to see, enough portable potty's to support the amount of riders and decently stocked sag stops.

Thanks to all the volunteers for this event on such a hot day. You did a great job!!

Thanks to Diane for being the driver for me and Elizabeth.

The Ride: I think I woke up close to 4 this morning to get ready to meet Diane and Elizabeth for the 1 1/2 hour drive up to Summerville. We had a quick sign in and then 8 of us rolled out for the century route, but it did not take long for me to realize that I was not going to be with the group for very long. We seemed to be in the low to mid 20's not long after we were on the road and on some rolling terrain my heart rate was thumping and my legs were stinging. I was pegging well over my threshold, but it was not necessarily the pace of the group as it was my legs just did not have the zip in them today.

At mile 11 I dropped of the back of the group and then realized it would be foolish for me to attempt the century feeling this way and sitting here now I am very grateful for that choice. My legs continued to struggle the remaining miles on the metric, but somewhere along the way I was fortunate to find 4 new friends that allowed me sit at the back of their small group. It was nice to have someone to help me stay focused on a decent pace and they maintained a solid pace all the way to the finish. I did not contribute much of anything because it seemed these women had a nice rotation system going and to be honest I did not feel like I had it in me physically today to contribute much help without being disruptive and slowing them down. I am grateful for their company along the route and following the route with some conversation under the post ride meal tents.

Thank you Paula, Paula, Katie and Felicia (spelling?) for allowing me to hangout with you.
I enjoyed meeting John from the Chattanooga Bike Club. Great to meet you and your group today and thanks for the compliments on my blog. I am grateful you looked for me on this ride and I am grateful to have talked with you.

Although it is a little frustrating that my legs were not in a cooperative mood (performance wise) today it was still a very blessed day all around. I got to share a good bit of conversation time with Diane and Elizabeth during the commute, I got to meet 4 fantastic cycling women from Atlanta, I got to meet a new friend and cycling enthusiast from Chattanooga. I got to enjoy a great route and meet a great staff of volunteers and I got to ride my bike.

Nutrition Intake During the Course: ~26 oz.of water with Perpetuem, BCAA and Glutamine, 52 oz. water from refills (1) Hammer gel (1) Cliff Bar. (1) small cup of Coke

Post Ride: 4 small slices of pizza, 30 grams of whey protein, 1 Diet Coke, 3 bottles of water

The Weather: Partly cloudy Start @ 70 degrees, Sunny End @ 90 degrees but it felt way hotter


Bike: LOOK 585, Garmin 705, Powertap SL+, Contour GPS camera


Overall Power Data:
 Entire workout (119 watts):
    Duration:      4:10:11
    Work:          1741 kJ
    TSS:           225.8 (intensity factor 0.747)
    Norm Power:    153
    VI:            1.29
    Distance:      63.124 mi
    Elevation Gain:        1920 ft
    Elevation Loss:       1947 ft
    Grade:         -0.0 %  (-29 ft)
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    593    119     watts
    Cadence:         30    -    83     rpm
    Speed:           0    34.7    15.1     mph
    Pace             1:44    0:00    3:58     min/mi
    Altitude:        561    841    685     ft
    Crank Torque:    0    1000    127     lb-in

No comments: