Saturday, August 6, 2011

New Powertap SL+ Wheel From Wheelbuilder


I am not a good blog reviewer like DC Rainmaker, but I do want to throw out some good remarks at the times I have a good bike purchase experience and with the purchase of a new wheel upgrade from the folks at Wheelbuilder.com I only have good things to say.

First, I was looking to use the same rim as I currently have because it has proven to be a solid training wheel and I did not not want to purchase a new front wheel to match. The folks at wheelbuilder had the rim and spoke selection to match, but what I found that I like the most as I called or emailed other wheel builders is that they were the most responsive to either emails or calls. There were some other things that I found enticing, but I think I will simply finish this short review of the company with bullet items.

  • Competitive Prices - I was really enticed when they had the SL+ briefly discounted almost as low as the Pro model.
  • Wheel Materials - They have a nice supply of good wheel brands and spokes to choose from
  • Responsive - I mentioned this because to me it made them standout over other builders that have similar pricing and materials.
  • Fast Shipping - Probably still applies to "Responsive", but they had my order processed and sent via  FedEx that afternoon. My wheel was custom materials, but perhaps they had one in stock or they are just that quick at building wheels. Regardless I got my wheel shipped regular ground service across the states and had it before the weekend.
  • Quality - I did my first full ride today. The wheel is true and the Powertap SL+ is working well with my Garmin 705. Good enough for me.
  • Web Site - Good website and easy to browse, but I ended up purchasing via the phone since I was on the phone asking questions. It was the cordial behavior and willingness to answer questions that helped me go ahead and process my order while on the phone rather than the through the website. So I cannot really comment on ordering online.
  • Service - I hope I do not need this, but they can do a full service on a Powertap hub. Based on my past experience with Saris Cycling Group I am glad to hear that Wheelbuilder can do a complete service.
I wanted a fairly "bomb proof" training wheel and I believe I have one. Of course my old wheel with near the same materials has held up well so I figured this was going to be good.

Wheel Materials:
Kinlin XR-300 (28 hole, 2X lacing)
DT Swiss Competition Spokes
Powertap SL+

Overall I can give the folks at Wheelbuilder a positive thought for a positive experience.


No comments: