Saturday, March 17, 2012

Brewery to Cagle Road with Company

 Garmin Connect Data
 Ride with GPS Data
Garmin Summary
Moving Time: 4:45:46 (4:51:21 total)
Distance: 70 miles
Avg Moving Speed 15.6 mph

Group: Jamie, Tim, Craig and me 
Goal: Extend my saddle time and miles.

The Ride: Kind of a rough start this morning driving up to the brewery with light rain and still dark. A couple of miles from the exit I got trapped in traffic due to an accident. Fortunately I was able to cross the interstate and find a back way over to the brewery where Craig and Jamie were waiting. I put in the title with company because I was training this route solo, but I am grateful to have some company with me. Nice to see Gary, Mike, Peter and Kit getting ready to head out on their route.

The three of us rolled out and a few minutes later we see Tim coming. The four of us headed due north on my same old out and back route. My goal today was to kind of take it easy. I never really fully recovered from the century last weekend and my knee has been tender as well. Going up we did not push real hard and at times were spread out with each kind of doing their own pace, which is good. Jamie gave us notice that she would be turning at the 30 mile mark so we pushed on to the 35 mile mark. We thought we might catch her on the return, but at our turn around my rear tire picked up a sharp object and that took a few unexpected extra minutes and with the dampness and grit all over my bike it turned out to be a real mess.

On the return me, Tim and Craig took long turns in the front with a brisk pace as we headed back toward Redbud and Cash. Even though I was in their draft I was still at or over my threshold at times. As we approached 15 miles from the end I was really starting to feel fatigued. Tim was getting well ahead of me and Craig, but we regrouped near the Sosebee Bike Park at Simpson Road and held on Tim's wheel for most of the way back.

My review on performance was that Tim looked as strong as ever. Craig looked very solid and probably had near 100 miles as a total because he rides from his house to the starting point. He is really racking up some good solid miles. Jamie is easing back into the groove and building her fitness. I had a tough day. I was able to keep Tim and Craig in sight, but at times was really struggling. As I type this my knee is wrapped with ice with all hopes that this soreness will go away, but it has been with me during training this week.

Next week I need to get back to keeping focus of staying within my training level and keeping that level as constant as I can, but today it was fun to push a bit over and try to keep up with Tim and Craig. My data shows a 50 minute period (16 miles) between Cagle Road to the Sunoco Station that we had a 19.6 mph average. The wattage was not always steady, but I had a 0.9 IF (intensity factor) in that section. Maybe that is why the last 20 miles were tough for me.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course:
Miles 0-50 | 26 oz Bottle #1 of water with Hammer Perpetuem, BCAA's, Gluatamine
Miles 50-70 | 20 oz Bottle #2 of water with BCAA's, Gluatamine
Mile 22 | Hammer Gel
Mile 35| Cliff Bar
Finish | 20 gram whey protein drink
Home | Tuna salad salad with chicken breast on whole grain toast

The Weather: Wet roads, Cloudy skies at the start @ 57 degrees, cloudy skies@ 78 degrees, slight winds from the south.

Bike: LOOK 585 , Garmin 800, Powertap SL+

Overall Power Data:
Entire workout (139 watts):
    Duration:      4:01:16 (4:43:05)
    Work:          2006 kJ
    TSS:           276.2 (intensity factor 0.83)
    Norm Power:    170
    VI:            1.23
    Distance:      71.955 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    634    139     watts
    Cadence:         7    212    77     rpm
    Speed:           0    36.8    17.9     mph
    Pace             1:38    0:00    3:21     min/mi
    Crank Torque:    0    1581    160     lb-in

No comments: