Sunday, March 18, 2012

Comet - Easy Spin

Garmin Connect Data
Summary
Moving Time: 2:20:07
Distance: 40 miles
Avg Moving Speed 17.3 mph

Solo
Goal: Enjoy a nice summer like day on the bike

Ride: I had a great time just getting out on the bike today. I probably should have taken the day off to rest my legs and a tender knee, but sitting around the house is just a bummer on a warm sunny day in March.

The one thing about cycling and especially going solo is the amount of time to think about things. I rarely go back to think about old times with friends, but being out on the Comet I remember two of my friends. Here I was cruising along at speeds sometimes in the mid 20 mph range and it seemed effortless.

I remembered in 2004 when Edgar talked me into to going to the Comet and do ten miles. That seemed like a crazy idea. Ten miles on a bike? Wow! The first time I went I borrowed his older Specialized Hardrock mountain bike and though that 10 miles seemed extremely difficult I was addicted to cycling. Coming out the bodybuilding world weighing a 190 lbs at 5'6" and a very serious warning from my doctor that I was very near a stroke because of high blood pressure it seemed like cycling was a good avenue rather than being put on a bunch of medication.

Edgar and I continued going together to the Comet for a couple of years and even though I had stepped up from the loaner bike to a Felt F45 the conditioning was slow coming along. There is one section near the 10 mile mark that is a slight uphill, but I would always blow up or be near doubled over and barely able to catch my breath. At other times we would chase someone down only for them to pass us by again with little effort. I remember thinking that I wanted to be like those guys and be able to cruise at a good speed for a long distance.

Cruising along today on the way back some guy got on my wheel and as I went up a gear I heard the sound of a gear change behind, then another. It wasn't like I was trying to intentionally drop the guy or try to show off. On this stretch I was in the mid 20 mph range and it seemed effortless. I went on for a couple of miles assuming that he was still behind me, but no one was there. Perhaps the day has come that I am that guy that I wanted to be. That I can now cruise at a good speed for a long period of time. I never thought I could participate in any type of endurance sport. Maybe I am wrong about that thought.

The thing is about this time of reflection were the many hours and miles I spent cycling with Edgar in those first few years. If it were not from Edgar talking me into that first ride I may not have become addicted to cycling, but even more important my general health has improved over the years.

Edgar, glad to have shared those miles with you. Hope to share some more miles anytime you want.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: ~35 oz. of water with BCAA's and Gluatamine (1)Larabar (1) 40 gram whey protein post ride recovery drink

The Weather: Sunny skies, slight breeze from the west 81 degrees

Bike: LOOK 585, Garmin 800, Powertap SL+

Overall Power Data:
Entire workout (138 watts):
    Duration:      2:20:39 (2:22:23)
    Work:          1164 kJ
    TSS:           125.3 (intensity factor 0.732)
    Norm Power:    150
    VI:            1.09
    Distance:      40.473 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    591    138     watts
    Cadence:         8    196    74     rpm
    Speed:           0    25.2    17.3     mph
    Pace             2:23    0:00    3:28     min/mi
    Crank Torque:    0    1193    164     lb-in

1 comment:

dwnhllgrl said...

YAY Jesse!!! So happy for you & VERY PROUD! So happy to call you friend & key cycling buddy! :) keep on, keeping on!