Saturday, March 10, 2012

Brewery to Old Federal Road - 100 Mile Route

Garmin Connect Data
Ride with GPS Data
Garmin Summary
Moving Time: 6:30:20 (6:54:30 total)
Distance: 101.4 miles
Avg Moving Speed 15.6 mph

Group: Craig and me 
Goal: Extend my saddle time and miles.

The Ride: I received an email last night from Craig asking if I was riding and that he needed miles. That was good news because just so happened that I wanted to get in some miles today as well. I wanted to give it go for my first century of 2012. I felt pretty confident that I could do the miles, but I was not so sure how it would turn out since I have put in some good L4 training efforts all week with just Friday off.

We rolled out of the brewery about 8:30 and headed due north on my usual out and back route going toward Fort Mountain. Neither one of us did any drafting on the way up so we both were able to keep constant torque on the pedals. There was a slight feel of headwind that also helped us keep some training intensity, but not so much that it jeopardized our desire for longer distance. I kept a watchful eye on my power meter to keep it aerobic and only on a few sharp hills went up over my threshold briefly. I saw Craig make a surge on some bigger hills just past Redbud and I wondered if that would have an effect later in the ride. He told me later that he felt the effect.

Once we arrived at the base of Fort Mountain we discussed if we should climb it or wait another day. I think we made the right choice for today and looking at the accumulated TSS on the Garmin 800 and realizing we still had half the ride remaining I was good with adding a few more flatter miles heading north. When we came back to the intersection at the base of the climb I saw a group of cyclists coming from the mountain. The orange jersey in the distance looked a lot like my friend Mike. We rolled over to see and it was Mike, Gary, Kit, Glenn and one or two more guys doing some climbing training. Pretty cool to see my friends out. We chatted a couple of minutes, but with a very long ride back we turned south with 50 miles of pavement between us and the brewery.

We kept some pretty good speed going back until Craig started feeling a bit of an upset stomach from drinking Gatorade at a store stop. We backed the pace down and a few hours later we were back safe in the parking lot. That can happen to anyone. It has happened to me several times. I believe Craig finished the day with about 111 miles. Pretty good for this time of the year.

A few things about today were a test of current fitness and a test of on the bike nutrition. My legs were still ready to crank out the power even in the last miles, but I still have more work to be done on conditioning for endurance rides.  Another test was with nutrition and fluid intake for long distance and I felt like I had the right ratio with a good blend of solid and liquid nutrition as noted below.


Please pardon any grammatical errors or poor writing style.....I am worn out

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course:
Miles 0-70 | 26 oz Bottle #1 of water with Hammer Perpetuem, BCAA's, Gluatamine ( 2 water refills)
Miles 70-100 | 26 oz Bottle #2 of water with Egg White protein, Maltodextrin, BCAA's, Gluatamine
Mile 20 | Cliff Bar
Mile 30 | Hammer Gel
Mile 40 | PowerBar Gel Chews (the whole package)
Mile 60 | Cliff Bar
Mile 78 | Hammer Gel
Finish | 20 gram whey protein drink
Home | Romaine lettuce salad with chicken breast, shredded cheese, crushed corn chips and 8 oz skim milk

The Weather: Sunny skies at the start @ 40 degrees, sunny skies@ 66 degrees, ~6 mph winds from the east.

Bike: LOOK 585 , Garmin 800, Powertap SL+

Overall Power Data:
Entire workout (136 watts):
    Duration:      6:06:42 (6:54:48)
    Work:          2986 kJ
    TSS:           383.1 (intensity factor 0.792)
    Norm Power:    162
    VI:            1.2
    Distance:      101.438 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    646    136     watts
    Cadence:         8    239    79     rpm
    Speed:           0    34.4    16.6     mph
    Pace             1:45    0:00    3:37     min/mi
    Altitude:        465    1002    813     ft
    Crank Torque:    0    1783    154     lb-in

1 comment:

dwnhllgrl said...

YAY Jesse!!! So happy for you & VERY PROUD! So happy to call you friend & key cycling buddy! :) keep on, keeping on!