Monday, September 4, 2017

Labor Day Easy Spin


Route and Ride Data Links:

Strava - Today's Route

Ride Metrics:

Distance (mile): 40.4
Speed (mph): 
16.5
Cadence (rpm): 
63
Time Moving: 
2:27:08
Time Total: 
2:29:13
Work (kj): 
1075
Normal Power: 
147
Average Power: 
122
Max Power: 
563
VI: 
1.2 
TSS: 
148.3
IF: 
0.78

Goal:

Leisure Ride

Ride Description:

Out and Back Spin just to get out of the house and enjoy the holiday. 

Kind of a crazy start to this ride. My wife insisted that I go to the Comet because supposedly it is "safer". I keep telling her that I see more crashes and near misses here than I see out on the road. While I am prepping for the ride I see a guy with an experienced look going fast toward the parking lot. Then I hear that dreaded sound and I roll over to see an older guy laying on the pavement bleeding. I think he was going way too fast to make that turn into the parking lot and lost it. I tried to help him up, but his pride seemed to be bleeding about as much as his skin. He did not want help from anyone. 

A few miles down a very crowded path and I see an ambulance picking up someone. From that point until about the eleven mile marker I did not attempt a faster pace. There were way too many children and unpredictable beginner level cyclists. It was amazing how many elderly guys fully kitted out like a pro racer and doing some really risky moves. I always thought it would be the young guys that would be more of an issue. 


A few miles into my return I met Michael and spent a number miles getting to talk to another cycling addict. It was great to hear that he recently moved to Atlanta from Philly and will now get to enjoy cycling in a little bit less harsh winters. Great guy and I hope many blessed miles for Michael. Most of all it was good to finish this ride upright. I've got enough issues of my own with healing.



On the knee rehab issue eight weeks past the initial injury and the last annoyance happens to be the skin on the right knee cap not healing. I bumped it on Saturday while working in the yard and it easily split open again. I now have Tegaderm on the wound and I will give it some more time to see if it will heal before seeing a doctor. 



Weather:

Temperature Start (F): 86
Temperature Finish (F): 86
Wind: Calm
Sky: Sunny

Nutrition Intake During and Immediately After:

Bottle #1 24oz. Water, BSN Amino X, Maltodextrin
GU gel at mile 20
Post Ride: 30 gram protein drink

Gear:

 LOOK  585 



No comments: