Saturday, June 16, 2018

Easy Spin

Route and Ride Data Links:

Strava - Today's Route

Ride Metrics:

Distance (mile): 32
Speed Avg (mph): 16
Cadence (rpm): 64
Time Moving: 1:57:47
Time Total: 1:59:48
Work (kj): 748
Normal Power: 117
Average Power: 104
Max Power: 396
VI: 1.12
TSS: 82
IF: 
0.64

Goal:

Just ride and take it easy after being sedated yesterday

Ride Description:

Today was a good choice to go to the Comet and just ride easy after having a colonoscopy midday yesterday. So I've put this test off for a few years and knew all along I should get the test done just to be safe. Recently attending two funerals of guys that did not have their prostrates checked and both suffered terribly for a year prompted me to get this colon test done. I typically get the prostrate checked each year, but I could not get my mind around the thought of the fasting part and then I had some anxiety about what happens in the exam. To be honest other than going through the process it is not too bad and yet not something you want to go through every year. I am glad it is 10 years apart if you are healthy. I had two polyps removed and don't know the results yet, but from what my wife was told they think I am in good condition. So now that it is over and no more having to think about squeezing it in or anxiety of what goes on before, during or after.

The anesthesia is what kept me from my usual ride today. When we got home yesterday I just sat on the couch until about 5 pm and then decided to tackle a neglected lawn. I could feel it a little and holding on the mower help keep me stable. Sitting on the couch after mowing I felt a little more woozy, but not too bad. I still felt it ever so slightly this morning so I decided to take the road bike to the Comet. No problems and nothing at all from the polyps being removed. The other part is getting back into the groove with my common nutrition and right now I am a bit off after a diet change and a day of pure liquid diet with a lot of fluid loss through Thursday night and Friday morning. Would I recommend others do this following a colonoscopy? I would not because it is an individual thing and the timing of these things are going to be different. I was put under anesthesia around noon and still felt it just a little upon waking Saturday morning. Not enough to matter sitting around the house, but to be on a bike it could potentially make a difference. 

For the record and crazy to post this but when I was looking at doing this I was also searching for what other cyclists had experienced so here is my schedule.

Wednesday: Changed my diet a bit by lowering fiber and going to liquid protein.
Thursday: All liquid diet including 3 bottles of Isopure protein clear lemon flavor, water, soda
Thursday: 4 pm took 4 Ducolax pills, 6 pm started 32oz Gatorade with half a bottle of Miralax
Friday: 4 am drank 32 oz Gatorade with the 2nd half of the Miralax.
Friday at the GI: 
  • Signed in and signed remaining paperwork
  • Taken to a booth with curtains and a bed to change to a open back gown
  • Lay on the bed with a sheet covering me and answering a few questions
  • Vitals were taken
  • Wheeled to the procedure room
  • Told to turn to my left side
  • Anesthesia was given and within seconds I was totally out
  • Next thing I know a nurse is calling my name to wake me up. She asked me to relieve the gas and I knew this is something that I am a pro at doing. Other than being a bit drowsy and little unstable I felt okay. Felt nothing from having the procedure it self.
  • Wife drives me home.
  • Done in less than an hour and it felt like I was there for just a few minutes.
  • Wanted to go to Burger King to break the fast, but the nurse suggested I take it easy on the diet.

Weather:

Temperature Start (F): 77
Temperature Finish (F): 88
Wind: Calm
Sky: Sunny (under heavy tree canopy)

Nutrition Intake During and Immediately After:

Bottle #1 Forgot to load on the bike
Bottle #2 Forgot to load on the bike
Stopped at the water fountains at mile 4 and mile 11.
Post Ride: 40 gram Isopure protein drink

Gear:

 LOOK  585 

No comments: